- S-Comm Back From the Dead?
- New York Governor Suspends Harmful Deportation Program
- Send Governor Cuomo a Message: Respect Immigrants' Rights
- DREAM Deferred, But Only Temporarily
- Dare to DREAM
- DREAMing Big
- Obama Finally Speaks on Immigration Reform; Why are We Underwhelmed?
- Crazy Arizona Immigration Laws Part Deux: The War on Babies
- Debunking the Immigration vs. Environment Myth
- Major Cities’ Police Chiefs Come Out Against Arizona Law… Where’s Ray Kelly?
- Obama’s Border Plans: That’s Not Change. That’s More of the Same.
- Today’s Second-Grade Lesson: We Need Immigration Reform
- NYCLU in the Journal News on ID Cards
- Standing While Latino Should Not be a Crime
- New NYCLU Video: LGBT Immigration Discrimination
- New Video: Show Me Your Papers!
- Upstate Town Goes English-Only; We Say “No/Nyet/Non”
- British Scrap National ID Cards – Are You Listening, Schumer?
- Paterson vs. Schumer on Due Process for Immigrants
- May Day 2010: All Over It
- Senate Democrats Release Blueprint of CIR Bill…And It Needs Work (A Lot)
- NYC Mayor Bloomberg: Immigration Reform FAIL is “National Suicide”
- Wild West: Arizona Takes the Anti-Immigrant Plunge—Immigration Reform Game Changer?
- Immigration Reform Bipartisanship Unraveling? Or Not?
- NYCLU, ACTS and RIFA in the Syracuse Post-Standard
- President Obama Says Immigration Reform is Next!
- NYCLU in the Poughkeepsie Journal: Justice and Common Sense: No Human Being is Illegal
- As Arizona Goes, So Goes the Nation? Let’s Hope Not.
- NYCLU in the Buffalo News: Schumer’s ID Plan Violates Basic American Principles
- GAME ON – At Vegas Rally Reid Promises Immigration Reform Bill This Summer
- Albany and Rochester Come out for Immigration Reform
- ICE Scandal of the Week: 400,000 Deportations Goal in FY10
- SHOCKER: 287(g) Program Lacks Oversight, Violates Rights
- NYCLU in the WSJ: Schumer’s ID Plan is ‘BEAST’LY
- We Came, We Saw, We Chanted…
- A Call for Justice: Rally in Washington for Reform
- Mr. President, Support Workable Reform, Reject National Worker ID
- The Gospel of Lindsey Graham; White House Punts on National ID
- And it Begins: WSJ on Schumer’s National ID Card
- Senator Schumer! Where’s Our Immigration Reform?
- Shakira at the White House: We Hope Obama’s “[L]ips Don’t Lie”
- Wings, Apples and Immigration Reform in Buffalo
- Former DA Morgenthau: Immigration System is a 'national disgrace'
- Immigration Reform: Coming to a Town Near You!
- Syracuse Comes Out in the Cold for Immigration Reform
- Immigration Reform. Who Cares?
- Representative Bishop – Can you hear us now?
- President Obama: We need more than that.
A report released in March that revealed ICE’s 287(g) program of deputizing local law enforcement officers as immigration agents is poorly managed and routinely violates civil rights and liberties wouldn’t normally break news. The NYCLU, ACLU, and others have been saying as much for years.
But here’s the catch: this report came from the Department of Homeland Security, itself!
Think of this as akin to the Inspector General of McDonalds putting out a study saying that Chicken Nuggets make kids fat.
The 87-page report issued by the DHS Office of Inspector General (see the report here) details the ins and outs of the 287(g) program—and concludes that the localities don’t follow the regulations of the program and that the program itself is poorly supervised, lacking in oversight and training, shrouded in secrecy, and that ICE and local law enforcement violate civil rights and liberties as a result.
While the OIG went through the process of making 33 distinct recommendations to improve the program, we think the fix is pretty clear: end the 287(g) program and end local enforcement of immigration law.
The 287(g) program has long been a failure and this just makes it clearer. Any comprehensive immigration reform legislation ought to put an end to these programs that waste money and violate basic rights and liberties. Simple.