VIEW THE VIDEO
Meet Locke, one of the students brave enough to share his story.
Model Policy for Creating a Safe and Supportive School Environment for Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students [pdf]
This Model Policy was developed by the Empire Justice Center, the Empire State Pride Agenda and the NYCLU, with contributions and/or support from the following organizations:
- Advocates for Children
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- Gay & Lesbian Youth Services (GLYS) of Western New York, Inc.
- Hetrick-Martin Institute
- The Pride Center of Western New York
- New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG)
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center
- Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund (TLDEF)
- Make the Road New York
- Lambda Legal
- The Queering Education Research Institute (QuERI)
- Long Island Gay and Lesbian Youth (LIGALY)
- LGBT Network
- Long Island LGBT Community Center
- Services and Advocacy for LGBT Elders – Long Island (SAGE-LI)
- Queens LGBT Community Center
- Pride for Youth
RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS
For Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students and their Families
NYCLU Story Collection Project: School Climate, Gender identity & Expression in New York’s Public Schools
Are you being discriminated against in school because you are transgender or gender nonconforming? Are you a parent or educator with questions? Do you have a story that you would just like to share with us? We want to hear from you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to make a complaint to your school
If you’ve been subjected to bullying, discrimination or harassment.
Watch Know Your Rights: LGBTQ Rights in New York State Schools
The NYCLU’s Teen Activist Project’s new video for LGBTQ students in New York.
RESOURCES FOR SCHOOLS
Transgender Students’ Rights and Schools’ Responsibilities [pdf]
A brief overview of gender identity and issues commonly faced by public schools with respect to: bathroom and locker room access for transgender students, the use of preferred name and gender pronouns and updating student records.
The New York State Dignity for All Students Act: A Resource and Promising Practices Guide for School Administrators and Faculty
The State Department of Education’s guide to assist schools in implementing the Dignity Act.