The Hudson Valley Chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union serves Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, Orange, Sullivan and Ulster counties.
It is a part of the NYCLU, which is the New York State affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union.
The chapter was organized in 1962, as the Westchester Civil Liberties Union, and has actively supported the constitutional rights of the people in our area for more than four decades.
Director: Shannon Wong
We work to protect and defend the rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, the U.S. Constitution and the New York State Constitution, including freedom of speech and religion, and the right to privacy, equality and due process of law for all Lower Hudson Valley residents. We accomplish this through public education, advocacy and litigation.
What We Do
- Public Education: The chapter provides programs for local schools, community groups and professionals. We help arrange forums on civil rights and civil liberties. Additionally, we provide a wide range of know your rights trainings.
- Legislative Advocacy: The chapter is very involved in advocating for the passage of legislation that will protect, promote and defend our civil rights and civil liberties. We organize lobbying trips to Albany and in-district meetings with elected officials. Additionally, we send action alerts and emails to help keep people informed about legislation that affects their rights.
- Monitor Government: The chapter monitors the actions of local governments. We seek to prevent violations of rights before they occur by testifying on proposed legislation, participating in public hearings, and commenting on the civil liberties aspects of proposals.
- Field Complaints: The chapter receives and screens complaints of possible civil liberties violations. We log these complaints and provide advice and referral.
How You Can Become Involved
- Become a Member: When you become a member of the chapter, you receive simultaneous membership in the NYCLU and ACLU. Chapter members receive the NYCLU and ACLU newsletters as well as periodic announcements of chapter events and programs.
- Volunteer: The chapter is an organization of committed volunteers representing a wide range of professional experience. Some of us are lawyers; some are teachers, social workers, business people, students or retirees. We welcome you to join us.
- Join our Board: The chapter Board of Directors works with the chapter director to expand our reach and amplify our voice. We are always looking for board members to provide new energy and skills. We invite you to add your ideas and energy to help us increase the presence of the NYCLU.
Hudson Valley Chapter Board
Kenneth Chamberlain, Jr.
Marsha E. Koretzky
Julie Davis Carran