Terms of Employment: Part-time/Non-exempt (up to 25 hours per week)
Salary: $21.24 - $26.94 (Tiers II-IV)
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The Administrative Assistant (Chapter/Regional Office) provides general office support and engages in a variety of clerical and administrative duties and tasks including answering calls, managing the office area, e-mail, data entry, mail, ordering supplies, and organizing various activities in support of the Chapter/Regional Office Director and its staff. This position reports to the Chapter/Regional Office Director or their designee. The Administrative Assistant has access to confidential NYCLU information which must be maintained in a confidential manner and communicated on a need to know basis. Most work is performed in the NYCLU environment during normal business hours but may involve travel outside of normal workhours with evening and weekends meetings.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant:
- Performs administrative support duties, including correspondence, e-mail and phone communication.
- Coordinates mass mailings and data entry.
- Provides support for client intake, including generating and receiving correspondence.
- Maintains and updates contact lists.
- Schedules meetings and manages conference calls.
- Prepares check requests and expense reports.
- Maintains an inventory of office supplies and orders new supplies when necessary.
- Participates in event planning and provides logistical support to other Chapter/Regional Office staff prior to, during, and after special events.
- Creates flyers, invitations, and other materials for special events and projects.
- Communicates with members, supporters, and volunteers, including via social media, at the direction of the Chapter/Regional Office Director or other staff.
- Order/shop for food for meetings.
- Monitor local media outlets.
- Actively supports the NYCLU’s internal and external commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or prior related experience in technical aspects of office management
- Special event/organizing experience a plus
- Proven organizational, writing, and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Able to communicate, meet deadlines, and obligations in a reliable and professional manner
- Social Media experience/savvy a plus
- Experience with bookkeeping and budgeting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and related technology skills
- Work effectively with a diverse and multi-cultural workforce and constituency
- Flexible, self-starter, problem solver
- Maintain confidentiality
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/254635/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Administrative-Assistant.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.