Terms of Employment: Full-Time/Exempt
Salary: Subject to the NYCLU’s salary scale and commensurate with experience and qualifications ($86,000-$115,000)
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU seeks an experienced and innovative Assistant Policy Director who thrives in a collaborative organization and can skillfully handle diverse approaches to a broad privacy and technology docket.
The Assistant Policy Director for Privacy & Technology is a management position reporting to the Policy Director. The Assistant Director will be a core part of the management team of the NYCLU’s Policy Department, sharing responsibility for managing personnel and campaign work. The ideal candidate will bring a positive and thoughtful approach to daily management, performance evaluation and feedback, and longtime career development of their supervisees.
In addition to managing members of the Policy team, the Assistant Director will manage a docket designed to enhance New Yorkers’ privacy rights and fight civil liberties threats posed by surveillance and data collection. This position will include a focus on issues around data privacy, algorithmic discrimination, “smart city” infrastructure, and other technologies that threaten to undermine civil liberties. The Assistant Policy Director will be responsible for managing and implementing a range of legal and policy strategies to expand and protect privacy rights in New York State including technical research, legislative and agency lawyering, litigation and legal analysis, civic engagement and public education, coalition development, public education, and strategic communications. Working closely with the NYCLU’s Privacy & Technology Strategists and Policy Counsel, the Assistant Policy Director will design and manage campaigns to enhance privacy rights. This is a senior position that requires a background in policy advocacy, as well as good supervision skills and creative thinking.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Manage a team of colleagues (both lawyers and non-lawyers) working on privacy, technology, and personal autonomy issues.
- Devise and manage short- and long-term campaigns to protect and expand the privacy rights of New Yorkers – through a combination of advocacy, litigation, public education, and organizing. Tactics include developing legal and policy positions, drafting and editing legislation, advocating before government officials, litigation and amicus briefing, and contributing to public education and strategic communication materials.
- Build and maintain relationships with technology experts, public interest groups, government officials, community stakeholders, and academics to engage them in our work and implement collaborative projects, and foster positive working relationships with state and national ACLU staff.
- Serve as a key spokesperson and resource for the NYCLU on issues of technology in the press, in internal discussions and strategy development, and in NYCLU publications.
- Monitor developments in digital Fourth Amendment law nationwide and in New York.
- Engage in legislative advocacy, including evaluating local and state legislation and ballot measures, drafting and editing new legislation and model policies, drafting local and state advocacy materials, and sharing expertise with policymakers.
Collaborate with and supervise colleagues in a manner that supports their professional development, communicates transparent expectations and feedback, and bolsters the NYCLU’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- 8+ years of experience in legal, policy, or technical advocacy in areas at the intersection of technology, privacy, free speech, and civil rights. (For candidates interested in this position but without the requisite experience, please see the concurrent posting for Senior Privacy & Technology Strategist – available at nyclu.org.)
- J.D. or graduate degree in a field such as public policy, information science, computer science, or political science. Litigation experience is a plus.
- Initiative, vision, and ability to develop and implement short and long-term policy strategies utilizing a broad range of political and legal tactics.
- Strong communications skills – both written and oral – are necessary for this job’s focus on external advocacy. The successful candidate will be able to effectively communicate complex legal and technical issues to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent research and analytical skills are a must, as is a fluency with technological concepts and vocabulary. Familiarity with programming languages, algorithms, and computational logic is a plus.
- Ability to develop and implement strategic initiatives and manage multiple issues at once in a fast-paced environment. This position requires strong project and time management skills, including a high level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Demonstrated experience engaging in creative problem solving, strategic flexibility, and good judgment.
- Ability to develop allies and work collaboratively and diplomatically.
- A strong commitment to diversity and a personal approach that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socioeconomic circumstances is a must. Demonstrated experience engaging and working with and/or on behalf of underrepresented communities is a plus.
- Willingness to travel within New York State for speaking events, meetings, and conferences.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter that includes your unique qualifications for this position, and your salary requirements via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/246631/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Assistant-Policy-Director-for-Privacy-Technology.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.