Salary: $200,000 - $225,000 Executive Salary Scale and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information, please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
DEI VISION STATEMENT
The NYCLU affirmatively values the humanity and contributions of those we work with, inside and outside of the organization; and will take action to build and sustain an equitable, anti-racist culture that centers the voices and experiences of marginalized and directly impacted people and communities, and an organizational environment where all people feel valued, trusted, and respected. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve and actively recruit people of color, women, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people.
The Chief Financial Officer will provide strategic financial vision and leadership as the senior finance executive for the NYCLU. The CFO will ensure the mid- to long-term viability of programming in collaboration with the Executive Director and other senior leaders and will oversee all financial functions including accounting, budgeting, financial operations, and strategic finance.
The NYCLU’s Finance Department is comprised of a staff of 3, who will report to the CFO. The CFO will report to the Executive Director.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with the Executive Director, senior staff and the Board of Directors to establish, articulate and implement strategic financial vision, planning and oversight to meet the NYCLU’s evolving organizational needs;
- Present periodic financial reports and projections to executive staff and Board to keep senior leadership abreast of significant financial events and the NYCLU’s financial status;
- Lead an inclusive process to establish an annual operating budget for the NYCLU as well as individual budgets aligned to strategic plans;
- In collaboration with the Board, lead implementation of NYCLU investment policy, including development of investment criteria, selection of investment managers, and ongoing monitoring of investments;
- Monitor investment and cash management accounts and work to maximize return on our investments and resources while operating within applicable regulations and organizational policies;
- Develop plans to address areas of opportunity within the Organization’s financial health and financial processes;
- Manage finance department personnel to include hiring, training, delegation of duties and performance management;
- Oversee finance staff in implementing day-to-day financial operations including A/P and A/R, payroll, cashflow, accounting and close processes, and reporting systems in accordance with GAAP standards, federal and state regulatory requirements, and grant requirements;
- Ensure the maintenance of financial records and recordkeeping systems, including revenue sharing analysis with the National organization and grant/fund accounting;
- Work with external accountants and auditors to prepare and review financial statements, tax documents, audit schedules and annual report of audit findings;
- Manage the negotiation and execution of contracts with funding sources, vendors and collaborative services providers;
- Oversee risk management including insurance programs;
- Monitor changes in legal, regulatory and administrative environments and implement changes as may be required; and
- Attend applicable Board and Board subcommittee meetings in an advisory capacity.
- Ten or more years of progressively responsible work experience managing the accounting, strategic finance or investments in a non-profit or philanthropic environment, or equivalent experience, including five or more years of supervisory experience;
- Demonstrated ability to work at a strategic level, driving process, organization and business practice changes, as well as at a tactical level;
- Demonstrated ability to organize, direct and coordinate operations in personnel supervision, recruitment and retention of key personnel, and budget management;
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting and accounting practices, processes, and procedures of non-profit organizations;
- Proficiency with accounting software, word processing, and spreadsheets;
- Excellent analytical, strategic thinking, problem solving and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a diverse, public-interest setting and to foster and support diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace; and
- Demonstrated commitment to the goals and priorities of the NYCLU.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter that includes your unique qualifications for this position and where or how you learned of this job posting via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/1041512/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Chief-Financial-Officer. If feasible, please submit these materials as a single PDF.
The NYCLU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.
The NYCLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.