Salary: Commensurate with experience, Minimum $42,949/yr.; (NYCLU has a generous and competitive benefits package)
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 200,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU’s Communications Department leads the media and digital communications for the organization and works closely with legal, legislative, advocacy and chapter staff. The department works to drive conversations around civil rights and civil liberties and enhance public understanding, support, and action for our issues. We accomplish this by working with high-impact media, launching multimedia advocacy campaigns, releasing reports and research, and running the organization’s websites and digital channels.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The NYCLU seeks a Communications Associate to join its 9-person communications team. This is a salaried position with excellent benefits. The Associate will report to the Communications Deputy Director and will work closely with each member of the Communications Department to perform the following functions:
- Track media coverage of the NYCLU and prepare a daily memo updating staff on news coverage relevant to NYCLU work
- Prepare weekly and monthly analytics reports on public engagement growth and ongoing projects
- Assist with writing and editing press materials, blog posts, social media content, and public education materials
- Work with the Senior Digital Media Strategist and the national ACLU office on productions of email communications sent to NYCLU e-activists
- Work with Media Strategists to pitch journalists and place stories
- Make updates to the website, including daily posting, content editing, and maintenance.
- Assist with directing and logging media requests
- Provide logistical support and assistance at events
- Develop and maintain press lists
- Conduct inventory and oversee mailings and printings of NYCLU press and promotional materials and publications
- Draft meeting minutes, schedule meetings and other internal communications
- Prepare invoices and maintain records
- Assist the Communications Director and other Communications team members with administrative tasks, writing, research and special projects
- Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate for this position is an administrative and/or communications professional who enjoys supporting others and is interested in learning more about the field of communications. They have a keen eye for print and online design, page layout, and general presentation. They have strong time management, planning and organizational skills; pay attention to detail and accuracy; and are results-oriented, with the ability to meet deadlines and produce accurate and complete work products in a timely manner. They can follow instructions, take appropriate initiative and work independently, as well as work as a member of a team. They develop and maintain effective relationships with others, including people from different backgrounds and with diverse perspectives. They show the ability to exercise good judgment and maintain a sense of humor in stressful circumstances. They are flexible and willing to learn, grow and take on new tasks as the responsibilities of the position evolve. Furthermore, they have an interest in the mission and work of the NYCLU.
Qualifications Required to Apply for the Position
- One to three years of experience as an administrative or executive assistant (directly relevant education may be credited for experience)
- Education or experience in journalism, public relations, non-profit communications, social justice advocacy, or related fields
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as research skills
- Interest and knowledge of the NYCLU’s issues and work
- Results-oriented with demonstrated ability to plan, organize, prioritize, track progress and meet goals
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Technologically savvy, well-versed in Microsoft Office Suite programs and Outlook or similar software
- Experience with social media, design, HTML, website maintenance, Adobe Analytics, and an open source CMS such as WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla is a plus
- This position requires confidentiality of NYCLU information.
- This position requires occasionally working long or irregular hours or on weekends.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should e-mail their resume to email@example.com “Communications Associate” in the subject line. Please submit, a writing sample up to two pages, and a cover letter describing:
- Your unique qualifications for this position
- Your experience as an administrative or executive assistant
- Where or how you learned of this job posting
The NYCLU will accept applications until November 19, 2018 or until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted and reviewed immediately.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.