SALARY: $160,000 - $180,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information, please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
DEI VISION STATEMENT
The NYCLU affirmatively values the humanity and contributions of those we work with, inside and outside of the organization; and will take action to build and sustain an equitable, anti-racist culture that centers the voices and experiences of marginalized and directly impacted people and communities, and an organizational environment where all people feel valued, trusted, and respected. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve and actively recruit people of color, women, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people.
The NYCLU is seeking an experienced, mission-driven professional to lead the Communications Department. The position requires a leader who can skillfully manage a team to conceive, plan, and execute communications strategies that further the NYCLU’s mission. The Communications Department is a 9-person team responsible for the NYCLU’s external communications strategy. The department uses communications tools and strategies to advance the NYCLU’s work on criminal justice and policing issues, immigrants’ rights, racial justice, education, voting rights, privacy and technology, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, and economic justice. The Director will oversee the NYCLU’s media relations work, digital and multi-media properties and content, messaging, and reports and public education materials.
This position directly reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the Management Team. The Director will work closely with the Executive Director to determine communications priorities and will collaborate with staff across the NYCLU, including the Legal, Policy, Field, and Development Departments, the Education Policy Center, and our Regional Offices, so a relationship-oriented and highly collaborative approach is a must.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the NYCLU’s external communications program, including overseeing press outreach, digital and multi-media strategies, messaging, reports and publications, public education materials, and audience engagement, and ensuring these tools are used strategically;
- Determine the NYCLU’s short-term and long-term communications priorities to further organizational goals;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization, including the Development, Field, Legal, and Policy Departments, the Education Policy Center, and our Regional Offices to integrate communications strategies, identify communications needs, and manage major projects;
- Grow the organization’s key audiences and deepen engagement with supporters and members;
- Manage a team of communications professionals, provide feedback, guidance, and mentorship, identify professional development and growth opportunities for staff;
- Ensure consistency of voice and effective communications across all channels; manage a drafting and editing process for press releases, statements, social media and website content, op-eds, talking points, blog posts, reports, and public education materials;
- Collaborate with other departments to develop and executive holistic marketing and engagement strategy;
- Maintain the organizational brand and ensure brand alignment for all materials;
- Partner with the Chief of Staff to support internal communications;
- Develop and manage the Communications Department budget; and
- Actively support the NYCLU’s internal and external commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- 8+ years of progressively responsible experience in communications, media relations, or public relations, preferably in an advocacy or mission-driven organization;
- Deep understanding of a holistic communications program, including experience managing and implementing media relations and digital strategies;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and editing skills;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and shape a narrative, understand messaging nuances, and help clients and impacted people tell their story;
- Experience leading a team of communications professionals;
- Project management and collaboration experience, including overseeing interdepartmental or multi-disciplinary projects from inception to completion;
- Experience with crisis communications and crisis management;
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse audiences, including elected officials, community leaders, coalition partners and the public;
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to social justice; and
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/779550/New-York....
The NYCLU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.
The NYCLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.