Salary: $40,840 - $54,302
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information, please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
DEI Vision Statement
The NYCLU affirmatively values the humanity and contributions of those we work with, inside and outside of the organization; and will take action to build and sustain an equitable, anti-racist culture that centers the voices and experiences of marginalized and directly impacted people and communities, and an organizational environment where all people feel valued, trusted, and respected. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve and actively recruit people of color, women, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people.
The NYCLU seeks well-qualified candidates for the full-time position of Development Assistant who would be dedicated to our mission and values. Reporting to the Interim Director of Development, the Development Assistant role will undertake a range of tasks and responsibilities that facilitate and coordinate the activities of development staff.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Assist with ACLU/NYCLU cultivation and fundraising events including the LGBT Rights Cocktail Party and Broadway Stands Up for Freedom concert;
- Support annual fund and leadership gift fundraising;
- Help Development Officer coordinate cultivation, invitation, and fundraising mailings;
- Ensure Leadership Gift team’s portfolio and contact data is up-to-date in Salesforce database; support portfolio set-up, churn and proposal set up
- Assist with donor and corporate sponsor communications, including e-blasts; monitor Department’s email accounts;
- Maintain department calendar and assist with scheduling;
- Assist in planning and facilitating internal and external meetings, including taking notes and meeting set up; coordinate team building activities;
- Support creation of annual and project workplans; maintain workplans in project management software;
- Organize and maintain electronic and hard-copy files;
- Work with Finance Department to reconcile department expenses and request payments;
- Manage inventory and distribution of department’s public materials;
- Assist with running donor reports and processing gifts and acknowledgments;
- Work with other departments on specific projects, as assigned;
- Additional responsibilities as needed.
- Minimum one year of experience as an administrative or executive assistant, or related
- Committed to developing and maintaining effective relationships with others, including commitment to values and principles of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Sound judgement in maintaining donor confidentiality
- Results-oriented with demonstrated ability to track progress and meet goals, and action-oriented with a bias towards getting things done
- Detail-oriented and organized; ability to manage, prioritize and complete multiple tasks and projects on-time, under tight deadlines; ability to handle stress and pressure effectively
- Customer Service orientation: Views their work as supporting team success by helping to make other team members’ work as easy and straightforward as possible
- Well-versed in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with Salesforce or similar fundraising database
- Experience with project management such as Asana and/or design software such as Adobe Suite, Canva, Figma a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as research skills
- Understanding of civil rights, civil liberties and social justice, and commitment to supporting efforts to uphold them
- Willing to work occasional overtime or irregular hours
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter that includes your experience in administrative work and where or how you learned of this job posting via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/672555/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Development-Assistant. If feasible, please submit these materials as a single PDF.
The NYCLU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the individuals that we serve.
The NYCLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.