Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU’s Communications Department leads the media and digital communications for the organization and works closely with legal, legislative, advocacy and chapter staff. The department works to drive conversations around civil rights and civil liberties and enhance public understanding, support, and action for our issues. We accomplish this by working with high-impact media, launching multimedia advocacy campaigns, releasing reports and research, and running the organization’s websites and digital channels.
Roles & Responsibilities
The NYCLU seeks one or more Digital Media Strategists with social media and/or multimedia production experience to join its 10-person communications team. The strategist(s) will report to the Communications director or Deputy Communications Director, will be a part of the department’s digital team, and will work closely with each member of the Communications Department.
The strategist(s) perform the following functions:
Social media production and strategy:
- Shapes the NYCLU’s voice on social media platforms; Conceives, writes, curates and schedules social media content, responds to inquiries and mentions.
- Develops effective social media engagement and growth strategies, with time-bound goals and measurable benchmarks; reports on goal progress.
- Promotes NYCLU actions, news, products and writing, and develops social media strategies to complement NYCLU campaigns and actions.
- Actively monitors news, NYCLU mentions, and online trends to create timely and compelling social media content.
- Manages paid social media promotions and collaborates with digital media strategist on digital ad strategy.
- Advises the department’s digital team on emerging social media trends and strategies. Analyzes metrics and reports out to digital team, with a focus on content engagement and audience growth recommendations.
- Advises and presents to NYCLU staff social media best practices and strategy.
- Oversees NYCLU chapters’ social media channels, whether directly managing, delegating responsibilities, or providing strategic guidance.
- Other writing and editing assignments as needed.
- Produces sharable multimedia web content to engage online audiences in civil liberties and civil rights issues;
- Conceives and executes creative storytelling campaigns using video, photography and other media to change hearts and minds, effectively explain complex litigation, policy, and advocacy, and inspire our audiences to act.
- Develops and manages multimedia products from start to finish: conception, research and development, production, editing, distribution and promotion.
- Collaborates with digital team to ensure products advance organization and department strategy, including brand and design consistency.
- Records and documents NYCLU activities, including rallies, events, and performances, and maintains multimedia archive.
- Assists in the creation and support of cohesive press plans, creative campaigns, and other communications strategies.
- Assists the Communications Department with other tasks, writing, and research as needed.
The ideal candidate for this position will have experience and expertise in both social media strategy and multimedia production. However, we are interested in hearing from candidates with impressive experience in either social media strategy or multimedia production solely.
Ideal candidates will be both creative and strategic in their work, and will demonstrate a strong commitment to civil liberties, social justice, and fairness. They will be innovative and collaborative, exercise good judgment, take initiative, and be able to manage multiple requests and priorities alongside fast-paced news cycles. They are adept at solving problems and working in collaborative environments, maintaining effective relationships with others including people from different backgrounds and with diverse perspectives, and they have both a diplomatic touch and a sense of humor.
Qualifications of ideal candidates include:
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and social justice.
- Experience developing successful social media strategies; Ability to conceive, execute and manage communications projects and strategies from start to finish.
- Excellent writing ability, producing concise, compelling, error-free posts and content under tight deadlines.
- Creative thinker with ideas for innovative ways to convey NYCLU messages
- Strong technical skills, including video and audio production, design, editing and shooting video experience; Excellent visual storytelling ability.
- Good judgment and ability to juggle multiple requests and priorities; Flexible and adaptable work style.
- Three years of work experience with a focus on social media content and strategy and/or multimedia production.
- Experience in journalism, public relations, government, or nonprofit communications preferred; experience in multi-issue advocacy a plus.
- A diplomatic touch and a sense of humor.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/189274/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Digital-and-Multimedia-Strategists. Please include a cover letter (no more than 2 pages) describing:
- Your unique qualifications for this position
- Your experience with social media and/or multimedia production
- How you learned of this job posting
The NYCLU will accept applications until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted and reviewed immediately. Qualified candidates may be asked to submit additional information, including performance samples and references from people with whom they have worked in the past.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.