Terms of Employment: Full-Time
Salary Range: Minimum salary of $58,723, commensurate with experience. The NYCLU has a generous and competitive benefits package.
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951 as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU Communications Department leads the media and digital communications for the organization and works closely with legal, policy, and field staff. The department works to drive conversations around civil rights and civil liberties and enhance public understanding and support for our issues. We accomplish this by working with high-impact media, launching multimedia advocacy campaigns, releasing reports and research, and running the organization’s websites and digital channels.
The NYCLU seeks a dynamic Digital Strategist to join its ten-person communications team. The Digital Strategist will report to the Deputy Communications Director.
The Digital Strategist will execute digital engagement strategies and analysis as a member of the Communications Department. The role will contribute in specific and comprehensive ways, including assisting the Senior Digital Strategist with NYCLU website platforms; email production; digital analytics; print design and publishing troubleshooting; and the visual design of branded advocacy, educational, and marketing materials. The Digital Strategist will advance the work of the NYCLU by utilizing the skills and tactics necessary to amplify and publicize our work, educate the public, and engage our supporters online.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Website Content Management
- Produces, edits and helps manage the NYCLU website and digital advocacy efforts.
- Oversees the daily maintenance and support of the website.
- Manages projects to enhance online systems, infrastructure, and content.
- Optimizes web pages for social sharing and mobile responsiveness.
- Utilizes templates to produce print products and digital graphics using Adobe Creative Suite while adhering to the NYCLU branding guidelines.
- Works with printing houses to oversee production from pre-press through delivery.
- Compiles edits and feedback from staff and outside partners.
- Strategically uses email marketing best practices to promote initiatives, increase conversions, educate, and attract new members and donors.
- Builds emails and landing forms for NYCLU campaigns.
- Performs A/B testing on subject lines, copy, and content to improve user engagement.
Troubleshooting and Testing
- Manages user data through secure webforms and shares with relevant staff while maintaining user privacy.
- Interfaces with National ACLU to troubleshoot issues with email marketing, webforms, the affiliate web template, and actions.
- Performs quality assurance testing on forms, emails, and websites — across devices, with a focus on mobile responsiveness.
- Recommends new features, feedback, and other improvements that will increase user interaction across digital properties.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following experience and qualifications. We will also consider candidates who have most, but not all, of the listed qualifications.
- Three years of experience in front end development with proficiency and knowledge of Drupal 7 and HTML.
- Highly Desirable: Proficient in CSS, email cloud programs (Selligent, Strong View, Springboard 360)
- Preferred: Professional experience using CRM technology, Omniture Analytics, and social media analytics trackers.
- Proficient with InDesign and familiar with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Preferred: Basic design theory and principle knowledge
- Strong project and time management skills, including a high level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Self-starter who can manage multiple projects at once and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to civil rights, civil liberties, racial and social justice.
- Strong copy-editing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a diverse community of colleagues, coalition partners, and clients.
- Experience with issue-based campaigning, brand, or advertising strategy is a plus.
- Actively works to foster an equitable and inclusive experience for staff and other partners in your work.
HOW TO APPLY:
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with “Digital Strategist” in the subject line. Please submit your resume, a short and relevant work sample of your choosing, and a cover letter describing:
- Your unique qualifications for this position
- Where or how you learned of this job posting.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.