Terms of Employment: Full-Time
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience; NYCLU has a generous and competitive benefits package.
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 200,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU seeks to employ for the position of Executive Assistant an individual who, under the supervision of the Executive Director, provides support and assistance to the Executive Director on confidential matters affecting the organization’s efforts to promote and defend civil rights and civil liberties in the legislative and public policy arenas. This position is confidential, providing direct support to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
- The Executive Assistant assists with the day-to-day operation of the organization, e.g.,
- Performs administrative support duties including confidential correspondence, reports, e-mail and phone communication
- Coordinates office activities, schedules meetings, interviews, speaking engagements and catering as requested
- Maintains and updates contact lists
- Maintains and updates confidential files and records
- Handles travel arrangements and registration for conferences and other events
- Prepares reimbursement requests and reconciles monthly expenses
- Maintains confidential files and provides administrative support to the Board of Directors
- Maintains calendar for Executive Director
- Anticipates future scheduling and preparation needs and keeps Executive Director organized and informed
- Prepares and distributes meeting notes and other materials
- Carries-out special assignments and other duties as required, including occasional research and representing the Executive Director in certain internal meetings.
- Directly related work (paid or volunteer) to the duties of the position or the mission of NYCLU is desirable.
- Proven organizational, writing and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and related technology skills
- Willingness to assist a busy executive with multiple, often competing demands for time
You must be able to:
- Show initiative and pay attention to detail
- Maintain confidentiality
- Work effectively with a diverse and multicultural workforce and constituency
- Demonstrate familiarity with and/or interest in the civil liberties and civil rights issues that form the basis of the NYCLU mission.
IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL ALSO POSSESS:
Bachelor’s degree or related education/technical training in office management and administrative sciences/technology
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should email a resume and a one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. Your application must include:
1. A statement that describes (1) why you believe this position is a good fit for you (i.e., your unique qualifications for the position) and (2) your interest in the NYCLU mission; and,
2. Your salary requirements
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.