Terms of Employment: Full-Time
Salary Range: $60-70k (The NYCLU has generous compensation and benefits package and advancement opportunity).
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951 as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with nearly 140,000 members and supporters and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for the full range of civil rights and civil liberties, including racial and economic justice, education, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information, please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU seeks to fill the position of full-time Human Resources Generalist, based out of the New York City Whitehall office. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources.
The HR Generalist reports to the HR Director and supports a workforce of approximately 100 employees statewide. They are responsible for the day-to-day administration of the NYCLU’s HR programs in the areas of recruitment and hiring, pay and benefits, and records and documentation. will include:
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all organization personnel.
- Assists the HR Director in developing and implementing personnel policies and procedures, including the employee handbook and the policies and procedures manual.
- Responsible for benefits administration, including claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment and communicating benefits information to employees.
- Assist in the NYCLU’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts and prepares the affirmative action report required as part of the recruitment and hiring process.
- Conducts recruitment efforts for all exempt and nonexempt personnel, students and temporary employees; conducts new-employee orientations; and writes and places job postings.
- Handles routine employee relations counseling, outplacement counseling and exit interviewing as determined by the HR Director.
- Tracks, monitors, prepares and processes status changes for the NYCLU staff including promotions, salary increases, bonuses, time-off awards, etc.
- Recommends approaches, policies and procedures to continually improve efficiency of the department and services performed.
- Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations under the direction of the HR Director.
The ideal candidate for this position will have an understanding of the NYCLU's mission, a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and is experienced in benefits administration, recruitment, adherence to federal and state employment laws, and HRIS. The ideal candidate will have a degree in human resources or a related field and have SHRM certification.
A bachelor's degree and/or of HR related experience. Any combination of experience and education as an HR assistant, technician, associate or generalist will be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
Please mail your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com and include “Application for Human Resources Generalist” position in the subject line. Your cover letter and/or resume must include the following:
- Your unique qualifications for this position.
- Where or how you learned of this job posting.
- Your salary requirements.
Applications will be accepted immediately and through July 15, 2019 or until the position is filled.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin or sexual orientation. We are committed to having a workforce that reflects the diversity of the population that we serve at all levels within the organization.