Terms of Employment: Full-time, salaried
Application deadline: Friday, November 2, 2018 (with applications being considered until the position is filled)
The New York Civil Liberties Union is one of the nation’s leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with nearly 200,000 members, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org
The NYCLU seeks a person to manage the operations of its Legal Department, which consists of seventeen lawyers, an investigator, two paralegals, and a legal secretary. Legal Department staff work on a wide range of civil rights and civil liberties cases in federal and state courts. They also participate in the legislative, advocacy, and communications work of the NYCLU. This is a new position.
SPECIFIC PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and strengthen operational aspects of the Legal Department as they relate to hiring and supervision of lawyers, legal fellows, paralegals, and summer interns; professional development (including training and continuing legal education); case assignments and workload management; case tracking systems; Legal Department policies and procedures, including updating of the department’s handbook; legal resources (including Westlaw and library materials); conflict-checks system, and malpractice insurance;
- Working in conjunction with the NYCLU’s IT staff, manage and strengthen the Legal Department’s document-management system (WorldDox), discovery review programs and systems, and record-archiving process;
- Assure Legal Department staff are fully apprised of court-filing procedures, including periodic updates (particularly with respect to electronic filing);
- Manage all Legal Department content on the NYCLU’s website; and
- Provide support for the Legal Department’s Pro Bono Program, which largely involves major law firms in New York.
The ideal candidate will have substantial experience managing the operations of a legal-services organization; will have substantial experience with current technology used in conjunction with complex litigation; will have a demonstrated ability to function as part of a management team in a diverse setting; will have a demonstrated ability to promote equity in the workplace; and will have practiced as a litigator for a public-interest organization.
- Experience in the operations of a legal-services organization;
- Experience working with legal-services technology;
- Demonstrated ability to handle a wide range of tasks;
- A demonstrated commitment to the goals and priorities of the NYCLU;
- Self-motivation and an ability to work collaboratively; and
- Experience as a practicing litigator a plus.
HOW TO APPLY:
E-mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Legal Department Manager” in the subject line.
Please submit a resume with a cover letter (up to two pages) describing:
- Your unique qualifications for this position.
- Where or how you learned of this job posting.
- Your salary requirements.
The NYCLU will accept applications until midnight, Friday, November 2, 2018 (or until the position is filled) and will review applications as they are received. Qualified candidates may be asked to submit additional information, including performance samples and references from people they have worked with in the past.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.