The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is seeking a legal intake volunteer, who can assist us in responding to the hundreds of complaints that we receive each year alleging violations of civil rights and civil liberties. We are seeking a person who is an excellent communicator and listener and has proficient computer skills.
A volunteer must be willing to commit to one day per week to work in our office at 125 Broad Street, New York, New York for the next three months. The volunteer will be trained to determine whether requests for assistance fall within the NYCLU’s areas of concern – namely first amendment violations (free speech, assembly, press, and religion), illegal search, privacy, racial equality, women’s rights, immigrants’ rights, employment discrimination, LGBTQ rights, prisoners’ rights, disability rights and police abuse.
The responsibilities of a legal intake volunteer are as follows:
- Answer the NYCLU telephone intake-line to field complaints and questions;
- Read and summarize complaints received in writing;
- Draft correspondence to reply to intakes;
- Conduct preliminary research regarding the legitimacy of complaints;
- Make recommendations as to the disposition of complaints;
- Review complaint facts with legal staff;
- Follow-up on outstanding factual questions our legal staff may have;
- Log intakes into our computer system; and
- File and maintain intake documents.
- College graduate with commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the mission and goals of the NYCLU required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- General familiarity with contemporary social and political issues.
- Strong research skills.
- Computer proficiency using Microsoft Word and/or demonstrated ability to learn computer applications.
- Experience working with non-profit or advocacy group(s) valuable.
- Experience working with volunteers helpful.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in volunteering at the NYCLU and a brief written description of your relevant experience to: The New York Civil Liberties Union, 125 Broad Street, 19th Floor, New York, New York 10004 Attention: Legal Intake Department -- Volunteer Application.
Applicants should email their cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Legal Intake Volunteer” in the subject heading.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.