Terms of Employment: Full-Time/Non-Exempt
Salary: Subject to the NYCLU’s salary scale and commensurate with experience and qualifications ($57,377-$75,575)
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU’s Communications Department leads the media and digital communications for the organization and works closely with legal, policy, field, and chapter staff. The department works to drive conversations around civil rights and civil liberties and enhance public understanding and support for our issues. We accomplish this by working with high-impact media, launching multimedia advocacy campaigns, releasing reports and research, and running the organization’s websites and digital channels.
The NYCLU seeks a dynamic Media Strategist to join its ten-person communications team. We’re looking for candidates with a keen sense of how media works, strong writing skills, and a deep understanding of social justice issues. The Media Strategist will report to the Communications Director and Deputy Director.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Develop and execute communications strategies and tactics for a broad range of projects, campaigns, and litigation efforts;
- Pitch stories and interviews, respond to incoming media requests; build relationships with press;
- Draft press materials, including press releases, advisories, blog posts, op-eds, reports and public education materials;
- Respond quickly to breaking news and inquiries, including occasionally after hours and on weekends;
- Provide press support, including preparing spokespeople for interviews, creating talking points and setting up interviews, for New York City and regional offices;
- Build and maintain press lists;
- Plan and manage press conferences and media events; and
- Assist the Communications Department with other tasks, including writing and research as needed.
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and social justice;
- At least 4-6 years of experience in journalism, public relations, or nonprofit communications;
- Strong news judgement and a demonstrated ability in securing media coverage and cultivating relationships with journalists;
- An understanding of digital communications tools, including social media;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to translate complex legal material into accurate, accessible, and compelling messaging;
- Ability to work effectively across multiple issue areas;
- The ability to thrive under deadline pressures; and
- A diplomatic touch and a sense of humor.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter that includes your unique qualifications for this position, where or how you learned of this job posting, your salary requirements and a writing sample via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/243738/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Media-Strategist. Applicants can upload their writing sample with their resume.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.