Terms of Employment: 1 Year/Limited Term Regular Full-Time Non-Exempt
Salary: $45,741 - $60,819
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The organizer will engage in organizing and advocacy to increase voter turnout, monitor implementation of voting rights laws, and advance state voting rights legislation, e.g., automatic voter registration and voting rights restoration.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Implement the NYCLU’s 2020 Voter Engagement Plan.
- Manage the NYCLU’s volunteer canvassing initiatives.
- Prepare and distribute materials to volunteer canvassers.
- Identify and track special events where the NYCLU should table.
- Represent the NYCLU and coordinate volunteers to table at special events.
- Collaborate with key staff to coordinate election day initiatives (e.g., voter hotlines).
- Support day-to-day volunteer communications and coordination as needed.
- Conduct surveys (formal/informal) to collect and share 1) stories of voter experiences and 2) feedback from volunteers on their volunteer experience.
- Build strong organizing relationships in alliance with other organizations leading voting rights and voter engagement work.
- Work with Policy and Communications Departments to advance voting rights through policy reform.
- Monitor implementation of state automatic voter registration law, if enacted this legislative session.
- Build partnerships with organizations around NYC and NYS that are funded to do Census outreach work and determine if NYCLU can undertake activities to bolster this work.
- Excellent engagement skills and the ability to communicate and relate to persons from a diversity of backgrounds
- Excellent skills at interviewing others in the field
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong commitment to public interest advocacy and civil liberties
- Ability to manage time and tasks independently and under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Driver’s license and willingness to travel within New York State
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/213541/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Organizer-Voter-Engagement-and-Voting-Rights
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.