Salary: Subject to the NYCLU’s salary scale and commensurate with experience and qualifications (Tiers IV-VI)
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org
The New York Civil Liberties Union is seeking a full-time paralegal to assist its attorneys involved in civil rights and civil liberties litigation. The paralegal will be based in the NYCLU’s New York City office, but travel within New York State may be required. The NYCLU’s Legal Department is comprised of fifteen lawyers, an investigator, two paralegals, a research analyst, and a senior legal assistant. Legal Department staff work on a wide range of civil rights and civil liberties cases in federal and state courts. They also participate in the legislative, advocacy, and communications work of the NYCLU.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Prepare and execute filings of a variety of legal documents, including briefs, motions, court forms, petitions, subpoenas, and discovery documents;
- Maintain electronic and paper case files, including pleadings, correspondence, discovery, and other materials;
- Communicate/coordinate with clients, court personnel, co-counsel, partner organizations, etc.;
- Draft correspondence, declarations, notices, and various court/legal documents;
- Manage logistic for depositions, oral arguments, court hearings, and other events;
- Assist attorneys with legal and other research, including cite-checking and Internet searches;
- Support various investigatory, research, advocacy, and case-related projects as needed;
- Take minutes, assist with scheduling, update website case pages, help with word processing, and carry out other general clerical and administrative duties.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat;
- Excellent word processing and proofreading skills;
- Superior verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work well with others in a collegial and diverse environment;
- Ability to work well under pressure, including some evenings and weekends;
- Ability to manage time and tasks independently, problem-solve, and manage multiple projects simultaneously; and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- In addition to the above requirements, fluency in Spanish or other languages; knowledge of legal terminology and legal principles; familiarity with legal case management software; familiarity with legal citation conventions; experience with electronic court filing systems; experience with electronic legal research tools (i.e., Westlaw, Lexis); experience with handling data and using data-analysis software (such as Excel); and prior experience with public interest organizations will be considered a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/202656/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Paralegal. Given the number of applications received, NYCLU will only contact applicants selected for interview.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.