Terms of Employment: Full-Time
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience; NYCLU has a generous and competitive benefits package.
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 200,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU is building an improved internal infrastructure to enhance our effectiveness. We have created several new positions in recent years, and now seek to fill the newly-created position of Program Director.
The NYCLU seeks an experienced, innovative and collaborative leader, who works well with diverse groups of people, to lead and coordinate the work of our Field and Policy departments. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Program Director will be responsible for the organization’s high-level program strategic planning and priorities-setting, cross-functional coordination and integration among all program areas both substantively and operationally, resource allocation, and development of evaluation and learning tools and processes consistent with our strategic framework.
This is a senior management position.
- Collaborate closely with the Executive Director and Senior Management Team to shape and lead the NYCLU’s field, legislative and policy programs and campaigns;
- Lead and coordinate interdepartmental communications, collaboration, and coordination among Policy, Field, Legal, Communications, and Development Departments.
- Provide supervision and support to the Policy and Field Directors on long-term and short-term strategy, staff management, and operational implementation;
- Strengthen the reach, impact and effectiveness of the NYCLU’s programs through effective prioritization, planning, implementation and evaluation to carry out the organizations’ strategic priorities;
- Lead the process of program planning and evaluation to set goals, assess progress and foster learning across issues and strategies, including engaging internal stakeholders;
- Work in conjunction with Directors of Finance, Policy, and Field on the development and management of program budgets, guiding resource allocation and resource deployment;
- Develop and maintain information systems and other critical aspects of infrastructure that support and improve delivery of programs;
- Foster a culture that promotes teamwork and professional growth while establishing clear performance standards;
- In conjunction with the Policy, Field, and Legal Directors, enlist support from social science experts, and other resources as necessary, to ensure our work is grounded in best practice;
- Ensure the flow of information and ideas to support the Executive Director and other senior staff;
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, support the work of the board by providing regular, timely and accurate information and reports to the board for program planning and evaluation;
- Foster and strengthen statewide collaboration; and
- Take on other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- 10-15 years of relevant experience with at least 5 years in senior management roles;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage effective teams in a fast-paced, complex, non-profit environment, including experience recruiting, developing, and managing a team comprised of highly talented and diverse staff;
- Demonstrated experience in planning, implementation, and evaluation to help an organization increase and sustain its impact;
- Excellent analytic, problem-solving and coaching, skills; adept at overseeing and executing strategic projects with significant visibility and impact;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills;
- A sophisticated understanding of how to be effective in the public policy arena;
- Experience and demonstrated track record working to advance equity, inclusion and racial justice in their professional capacity to effect change;
- Ability to work collaboratively with key internal and external constituencies and policy makers from diverse ideological positions;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and a personal approach that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances;
- Solutions-oriented, with strong strategic insight and professional judgment;
- Superb organizational skills;
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to travel across the state, as necessary, and participate in occasional evening and weekend meetings; and
- A commitment to the nonpartisan mission and strategic goals of the NYCLU.
IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL ALSO POSSESS:
- Law or other relevant advanced degree;
- Understanding of the NYCLU’s mission, program, and theory of change;
- Inspiring leadership style and a love for the challenges and rewards of managing a large and talented team;
- Experience formulating strategies that tie together research, legal analysis and litigation, lobbying, communications, and organizing tactics;
- Experience in an organization with both staff and volunteers;
- Knowledge of current political alignments and opportunities for collaboration with a broad range of groups; familiarity with the political landscapes of Albany and New York City;
- Experience working effectively with media and social media;
- Experience overseeing budget and administration;
- Familiarity with the culture, politics, and geography of NYS communities outside of the NYC Metro Area;
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of civil liberties and civil rights;
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, and willing to learn; and
- A great sense of humor, a collaborative disposition, patience, and flexibility.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com with “Program Director” in the subject line that includes:
- Your unique qualifications for this position
- Where or how you learned of this job posting
- Your salary requirements
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.