Salary: $44,514 – $54,302
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information, please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
DEI VISION STATEMENT
The NYCLU affirmatively values the humanity and contributions of those we work with, inside and outside of the organization; and will take action to build and sustain an equitable, anti-racist culture that centers the voices and experiences of marginalized and directly impacted people and communities, and an organizational environment where all people feel valued, trusted, and respected. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve and actively recruit people of color, women, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people.
The Receptionist will be the first point of contact. The Receptionist’s duties include offering administrative support across the organization. The receptionist will welcome guests and greet people who visit the business. You will also coordinate front-desk activities, including distributing correspondence and redirecting phone calls.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Covers the reception desk, including answering the phone, screening, and forwarding calls, taking and retrieving messages, accepting and signing for deliveries, forwarding visitor requests to lobby security via e-mail, receiving visitors and escorting visitors from the lobby.
- Handles phone intake which includes the referral of cases, issues, and questions to attorneys when callers raise civil liberties issues. This job includes the maintenance and use of an extensive referral list and the making of referrals.
- Schedules meetings in NYCLU and ACLU conference rooms, directs NYCLU and ACLU staff and visitors to various meetings.
- Sorts, distributes mail, memos, and packages.
- Orders and maintains office supplies using purchase orders, stocks supply shelves, orders staff business cards, reviews, and approves related bills.
- Assists in equipment maintenance and service coordination.
- Oversees postal accounts, includes review and approval of yearly postal fees, deposit of funds into business reply and bulk mail accounts, and applications for postal refunds. Assists in maintaining supplies and mail room in collaboration with other staff, includes requests for and transference of funds to postage meter.
- Assist Legal Department with the maintenance of law library, supervision of library subscription service which updates publications, ordering books and subscriptions for the library and individual staff, review, and approval of related bills.
- Other duties as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter via: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/849871/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Receptionist
The NYCLU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.
The NYCLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.