Salary Range: $48,102 - $60,340, commensurate with experience and qualifications
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information, please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is seeking an employee with data management and analysis experience to support the work of the Legal Department. The person in this position will work under the supervision of Legal Department attorneys and in collaboration with the NYCLU’s Data and Policy Analyst to perform quantitative and qualitative research related to cases and other matters being litigated or otherwise investigated.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in developing requests for records and data files;
- Assist in managing data and document productions received as a result of those requests or through investigation, discovery, or compliance monitoring;
- Extract and transcribe relevant data and information from records and prepare them for analysis;
- Clean, code, format, and prepare data files for analysis;
- Create basic data visualizations;
- Correspond with clients and class members, and track relevant information gathered through such correspondence;
- Research additional relevant information;
- Distill key findings into memos and presentations;
- Draft declarations in support of litigation;
- Assist on other projects and tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 1-2 years of professional experience;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and at least one of the following languages: Stata, SPSS, or R;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with the ability to efficiently manage multiple projects simultaneously with consistency and accuracy;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS (PREFERRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED):
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences OR bachelor’s degree in any subject area with a strong understanding of social science research methodology;
- 1-2 years of professional experience at a public interest or social justice organization;
- Experience with data management and analysis, particularly in the context of public interest work;
- Experience collecting and working with administrative data, particularly data from government agencies (especially immigration-related government agencies);
- Experience conveying research findings to audiences with varying levels of competency with data.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants can email their letter of interest along with their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Analyst” in the subject heading. Please limit your cover letter to why you are interested in the position and your unique qualifications for the role.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.